Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. 2 John 1:8 (ESV)
It’s a good idea to keep an eye on yourself. Not only did John tell us this, but Paul told Timothy to do the same…
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:16 (ESV)
So what does it mean to watch yourself? Presumably, John would want to pay attention to what he has been talking about:
- Do you love your brothers and sisters? Is there love (and forgiveness!) in your heart? Do you behold your brother in need and close your heart against him? (1 John 3:17) This is one of the great messages that John comes back to again and again, for a very good reason – it is a message he heard from the Lord (John 13:34, 35).
- Do you know the true Jesus Christ? He came in the flesh and arose bodily (2 John 1:7). His resurrection was not “spiritual”. He was truly dead and truly came back to life. If you do not know the true Christ, you are not one of His.
- Does the truth abide in you? This truth would include…
- confessing (agreeing with God) that you are a sinner (1 John 1:8)
- believing in Jesus as the propitiation for your sins (1 John 2:2)